The normal form of employment within the University will be through the provision of an open-ended contract. The University is committed to meeting its legal responsibilities to those staff who do not have an open ended contract, and are instead employed through Fixed-Term Contracts. The University will ensure that such contracts are only used where appropriate and where there is a legitimate reason for doing so.
All University Staff employed through Fixed-Term Contracts.
1. Fixed-Term Contracts will only be used where appropriate to business case and where there is a legitimate reason to do so.
2. Fixed-Term Contracts will be in accordance with the University guidelines. This includes where their use meets the criteria set out in the guidelines.
3. Contractual status will be reviewed at the first renewal point after the member of staff has accrued 4 years continuous service.
4. Managers will ensure staff on Fixed-Term Contracts are treated fairly and equitably.
How the University supports this:
- Employment Relationships Toolkit
- University Fixed-Term Contract (FTC) Guidelines and Criteria
Last Update: 01/08
Date of Next Review: 12/13