Ms Briony Birdi (née Train)
Lecturer in Librarianship
BA (Hull), MA (Sheffield), MCLIP
|Telephone (UK):||0114 222 2653|
|Telephone (International):||+44 114 222 2653|
|Days at work:||Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays|
Much of my teaching relates to public, youth and school libraries and librarianship. Within these three areas I focus on public libraries and diversity, and on reading research and the promotion of literature and reading. I coordinate the following postgraduate modules:
INF6180 Libraries, Information and Society
INF6013 Library Services for Children and Young People
INF6190 Public Libraries
- Member, Race Research Network, University of Sheffield (2012-)
- Member, Faculty of Social Sciences Equality and Diversity Committee (2013-)
- Associate Editor, Library Review (2008-)
- Editorial board member, New Review of Children's Literature and Librarianship
- Academic representative, CILIP Library & Information Update Editorial Board (2009-)
- Standing Committee Member, IFLA Literacy & Reading Section (2002-2011)
- Member, CILIP Community, Diversity and Equality Group (2007-)
- CILIP Public Library Journal Editorial Board (2005-2009)
- SINTO Social Exclusion Group (2007-2009)
- External Examiner, University of Strathclyde (2007-8), Liverpool John Moores University (2008-2011)
My main research interests are in the following areas:
- Reading research and the promotion of literature and reading, in particular the reading and promotion of minority ethnic fiction
- Public libraries, with an emphasis on social inclusion and diversity
- Youth libraries and reading; the role of libraries in education
Birdi, B. (2012) The Changing Shape of Reading - the 21st century challenge. In C. Rankin and A. Brock (Eds.), Library Services for Children and Young People: challenges and opportunities in the digital age. (39-48). London, England: Facet.
Birdi, B., Wilson, K. & Mansoor, S. (2012). ‘What we should strive for is Britishness’: an attitudinal investigation of ethnic diversity and the public library. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science, 44(2), 118-128.
Birdi, B . & Syed, M. (2011) Exploring reader response to minority ethnic fiction. Library Review, 60(9), 816-831.
Birdi, B. (2011) Investigating fiction reader characteristics using personal construct theory. Aslib Proceedings, 63(2/3), 275-294.
Birdi, B., Wilson, K. & Tso, H.M. (2009) The nature and role of empathy in public librarianship. The Journal of Librarianship and Information Science, 41(2), 81-89.
Birdi, B., Wilson, K. & Cocker, J. (2009) The public library, exclusion and empathy: a literature review. Library Review, 57(8), 576-592. Winner, 2009 Outstanding Paper Award, Emerald Literati Network.
Train, B. (2007) Research on family reading: an international perspective. Library Review, 56(4), 292-298.
Wilson, K. & Train, B. (2006) The Lifelong Impact of Lifelong Learning. Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning, 8(1), 14-26. http://www.staffs.ac.uk/journal/Volume81/contents.htm
Wilson, K. & Train, B. (2006) Marketing Library Services to Children and Young People: the Role of Schools Library Services. New Review of Children´s Literature and Librarianship, 12(2), 147-161.
Train, B. (2003) Building up or breaking down barriers? The role of the library in adult basic skills education. Library Review, 52(8), 394-402.
Elkin, J., Train, B. & Denham, D. (2003) Reading and reader development: the pleasure of reading. London, England: Facet.
Thebridge, S. & Train, B. (2002) Promoting reading through partnerships: a ten-year literature overview. New Library World, 103 (4/5), 131-40. Highly Commended Award, Literati Club, 2003
Train, B. & Elkin, J. (2001) Measuring the unmeasurable: reader development and its impact on performance measurement in the public library sector. Library Review, 50 (6), 295-304. Winner, R.D. MacLeod Award for Excellence, Literati Club, 2002
Train, B. and Elkin, J. (2001) `Branching Out: a model for experiential learning in professional practice´, The Journal of Librarianship and Information Science, vol. 33 (2), 69-75.
Train, B. & Elkin, J. (2001) Effecting change: reader development projects in public libraries. Library Management, 22 (8/9), 395-403.
Train, B., Dalton, P. & Elkin, J. (2000) Embracing inclusion: the critical role of the library. Library Management, 21(9), 483-90.
p. 1 - 2