Dr Alfred Sidambe
Research Associate (Manufacturing Officer)
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Sir Robert Hadfield Building
Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 6035
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5943
Dr Alfred Sidambe obtained his BSc in Special Applied Physics with Electronics (First) from the Univesity of Hull in 1997. He worked in industry for three years before joining Cranfield University where he graduated with a PhD on “Surface Engineered Polymer Bonded Magnets” in 2006. He joined the University of Sheffield in December 2006 as Post-Doctoral Research Associate.
My research interests are in powder metallurgy. I have extensive knowledge in the processing of metal alloys via metal injection moulding (MIM). My research is powder metallurgy processing and materials characterisation, especially of Titanium Alloys, Stainless Steels, Nickel Alloys as well as Platinum Group Metals.
I am currently a manufacturing officer at the Mercury Centre (http://www.mercurycentre.org) specialising in MIM. I am working on the improvement of the processing of Nickel and Titanium alloys via metal injection moulding and other powder metallurgy techniques. My research includes optimisation of the powder and binder mixing, rheological characterisation, improvements of the injection moulding, debinding and sintering processes.
- Sidambe, A. T., Logan, P., Stephenson, D.J. and Alcock, J.R. (2003), Surface engineered polymer bonded magnets, 19th Annual Meeting of the Polymer Processing Society.
- Sidambe, A.T., Xu, W., Hamilton, H. and Todd, I. (2008), Rapid debinding of a Titanium injection moulded component, - Euro PM 2008, Mannheim.
- Sidambe, A.T., Ismail, M.H., Figueroa, I.A., Hamilton, H. and Todd, I. (2009), Effects of boron addition on microstructure and mechanical properties of Ti-6Al-4V metal injection moulding components using a water soluble binder, – Euro PM 2009, Copenhagen.
- Sidambe, A.T., Figueroa, I.A., Hamilton, H., Todd, I., (2010), Metal injection moulding of Ti-64 components using a water soluble binder, Powder Injection Moulding International, 4(4), 2010, 56-62.
- Sidambe, A.T., Figueroa, I.A., Hamilton, H., and Todd, I. (2011), Improved Processing of Titanium Alloys by Metal Injection Moulding, IOP Conf. Ser.: Mater. Sci. Eng. 26 012005, doi:10.1088/1757-899X/26/1/012005.
- Sidambe, A.T., Figueroa, I.A., Hamilton, H., and Todd, I. (2011), Taguchi Optimization Of MIM Titanium Sintering, Int. J. Powd. Met. 47(6), 21-28.