Discover Architecture and the Built Environment
What is architecture?
Architecture is the art and science of designing buildings and structures. It includes everything in our built environment from town planning and urban design to landscape, construction and furniture. To us architecture is about finding new ways of doing things: buildings that work in harmony with the environment, cities where communities can flourish.
Get a taste of architecture at University
Discover Architecture and the Built Environment is a two year programme of events created by the University of Sheffield for year 12 students in local schools and colleges, to introduce them to this specialised subject. If you think you have creative flair, and want to find out more about studying architecture at our University, this programme will give you the chance to experience what it’s like.
You get the chance to
- Meet and work with other local students interested in the environment they live in and work together on practical projects
- Visit the university and get a guided tour from one of our current undergraduates
- Meet our admissions tutors and talk to architects
- Attend Revision and Exam Techniques sessions as well as Academic Study Skills sessions to help with the transition to university
- Get advice about applying to university
- Experience architecture taster sessions and team building activities
- Work with our architecture students to find out about their journey to university and what student life is like for them
Best of all its completely FREE
How often do I need to attend?
You will be away from school or college for no more than two days each term. Some activities, especially visits to other organisations or cities, may take place during your school holidays. We expect you to attend all the events unless there are special circumstances.
How can I get involved?
If you have the potential to achieve good grades at A level or equivalent and would either be in the first generation of your family to go into Higher Education, or you are a Looked after Child or have a declared disability, you may qualify to apply for the programme.
Talk to the head of your sixth form or your course leader to find out. They will tell you if you are eligible based upon the criteria and information we have provided for them.
Make sure you have told your co-ordinator of your interest before the deadline of Friday 26th October 2012