Homepage selection criteria
With over 16 million unique visits each year from 160 countries worldwide, our homepage is a key method for communicating and engaging with a wide external audience including potential students, partners and members of our community.
To be considered for inclusion on the homepage, a feature should support all three aspects of our mission, vision and identity and one or more of the areas in our Strategic Plan or core themes:
Mission, vision and identity
What we stand for - 'to discover and understand the cause of things'.
We have a global reputation for research-led critical thinking.
The difference we want to make - 'to improve the world'.
We aim to address the the biggest issues facing our world today.
Down-to-earth, innovative, friendly and community-based - 'straight forward'.
We are endowed with the best qualities of the city – friendliness, independence and a preference for action over rhetoric.
Strategic plan, 2010-2015
- To be recognised worldwide for excellence in research-led learning and teaching and for research and innovation of the highest international quality
- To be recognised worldwide for an outstanding and distinctive student experience which produces graduates who are in demand
- Attract and retain the best students, staff and partners
- Inspire and enable our students to stretch themselves and achieve greater things
- To create an environment that enables all staff to achieve at the highest level
- To provide learning and other developmental opportunities that transform the lives of students
- To be known as a university which combines the highest academic standards with a commitment to realising the impact and public value of its activities
- To be recognised for our interdisciplinary strengths and approach to important global challenges
- To create enduring local, national and global partnerships/collaborations
- To nurture a community in which equality and diversity contributes positively to student and staff experiences
- To enhance how we administrate learning and teaching and research and innovation activities
- To ensure we operate sustainably in the future
- To safeguard the high quality of our student experience and support of staff
- Encourage our students and alumni to care about their University and its future
- To be recognised as a University that sets national and international research agendas in response to the needs of society
- Major faculty-specific projects
- Our cross-cutting themes: Digital world, Healthcare and Energy