Frequently Asked Questions
We hope that the FAQs below help answer some of your queries in advance. If not, please email us at email@example.com.
1. What do the terms alumna, alumnus and alumni mean?
An alumna (f), alumnus (m) is a graduate of a school or college. Alumni (pl) refers to our community of former students. From the Latin: nursling, pupil, foster son, from alere to nourish.
2. How do I notify you of my change of address and change of name?
3. Can you give me my friend’s contact details?
We cannot give out contact details. However, if you get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org we will be happy to pass on your contact details to your friend. For more information see http://www.shef.ac.uk/alumni/keepintouch/findfriend
4. How do I request my Alumni Membership Card?
To request your replacement membership card please email email@example.com with your current contact details.
5. How can I get access to the Students’ Union building and club nights and bars?
To gain access to the Students’ Union buildings apply for your Life Membership Gold card for £10 via ‘Our Sheffield' or visit www.sheffieldsu.com/lifemembership
6. How do I get a replacement certificate or transcript?
Replacement certificates are issued by the Student Services Department. Please see http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/ssid/student/graduates for further information on obtaining a replacement degree certificate, transcript of qualifications and letters to confirm attendance.
7. As a graduate what benefits am I entitled to?
You are entitled to the free alumni magazine, Your University, which is published once a year, a quarterly e-bulletin and a range of benefits and events, please see http://shef.ac.uk/alumni/services for more information.
8. Why don’t I receive the alumni magazine, Your University?
Your University magazine is published once a year and sent to alumni worldwide. If you aren’t receiving the magazine then follow this link to request the latest copy; http://www.shef.ac.uk/alumni/magazine_request_form
If you have requested that you don’t want to receive any mailings from the University, this would include the magazine. You need to email firstname.lastname@example.org to advise us that you now wish to receive the magazine.
9. Is Your University alumni magazine available online?
Yes, all past issues of the magazine are available online http://shef.ac.uk/alumni/services/magazine .
10. How do I receive information about alumni events?
If you keep us up to date with your email address you will receive invitations to events based on your reunion year and also your location. We also promote events via the quarterly e-bulletins.
11. Can I continue to use the University’s computing facilities?
No, however you can gain access to Electronic Journals at some of our library sites, for more information see http://www.shef.ac.uk/alumni/services/library
12. Can I continue to use the University library?
Sheffield Alumni are able to register and use the University library. Please see http://www.shef.ac.uk/alumni/services/library.
13. I’m coming to visit Sheffield - can you recommend accommodation?
We offer a range of accommodation at discounted rates, please see our accommodation page http://www.shef.ac.uk/alumni/events/accommodation
14. Can you help me organise a reunion?
We can help you get started with organising your own reunion at the University. We can try to locate friends that you have lost touch with, or graduates from a department and/or year.
Please contact us at email@example.com or ring 0114 25592 to discuss your plans. We would love to receive reports about any reunions you have organised to place on our past events section on the website.
15. How can I find out more about my old department?
Each academic department has its own web pages, giving details of the programmes offered by the department and academic staff profiles. Go to http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/departments/index
16. Where can I buy University memorabilia?
The Alumni office sells prints and ties, for more information see http://www.shef.ac.uk/alumni/merchandise. Alternatively the ‘Our Sheffield’ shop in the Union sells a variety of branded merchandise http://www.shef.ac.uk/union/outlets-services/our-sheffield/ .
17. How do I obtain a reference?
You will need to contact your Academic department to obtain a reference. You can find contact details for your department here; http://shef.ac.uk/departments
18. I have a question that doesn’t appear above, how can I find out more information?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond to you as soon as possible.