Postgraduate study in Religion, Theology and the Bible
The University of Sheffield postgraduate scholarship competition for 2013/14 is open! The first of the deadlines is 1st February 2013 and you'll need to get your application in well before then. For more information visit our University Scholarships page. Good luck!
The texts that make up the Bible may date back thousands of years – but study religion, theology and the Bible here at Sheffield and you'll be focusing very strongly on the present and the future too.
Study with us and you won't just increase your knowledge of the Bible. You'll understand other ways of thinking and develop your cultural agility. You'll gain a greater appreciation of how this remarkable collection of texts continue to shape our modern world and their influence on ancient cultures. A postgraduate qualification from Sheffield will help you develop advanced skills sought by employers in an increasingly globalised jobs market.
The highest standards - in a friendly community
At Sheffield you’ll discover a climate of academic excellence, innovative teaching, and world-class research. Ours is a truly international study environment, in the heart of one of the best student cities in the UK.
The Department is an internationally famous centre of concentrated, innovative, multi-disciplinary study of religion, theology and the Bible. Our activities are research-led, with all members of staff recognised as producing international quality research.
Our postgraduate community, which brings together students and staff from across the Department, is lively and diverse. At our weekly research seminars staff, graduate students and visiting speakers present their research in a friendly and lively atmosphere.
When you join us at Sheffield you'll become a member of our Departmental community. We're based in a lovely old building with a garden terrace and kitchen to eat, chat and mingle (as well as having our own library and dedicated language labs). And our students run BIBSoc – the Biblical Studies Society – which brings together undergraduates, postgraduates and staff for nights out to the cinema, pub and restaurant. In addition, you'll become part of the University's large postgraduate community and have the opportunity to get involved with their social activities.
Need to know more?
- Come to one of our open days or visit afternoons and you'll get a great feel for the department, the University and the city. You’ll have an opportunity to see our facilities, chat to our staff and students, and find out about postgraduate funding.
- Our staff are active researchers exploring a broad variety of areas, investigating their subjects through collaborative projects and individual research.
- Our postgraduate programmes will equip you with the skills sought by a wide range of employers. Sheffield graduates go on to a variety of careers, both within and beyond the subject areas.
- Study at Sheffield and you'll live in the UK's number one city for student life.
- Find out more about why Sheffield is a great place to do postgraduate programmes.