BA (Hons) History and Russian RV71
A four-year dual honours degree in History and a modern language enables you to develop your language skills while you investigate the past. You will learn about the literature, culture and language of your chosen country, and spend your third year abroad. The History Department also offers several modules in Russian history, which can be very useful in tying the two halves of your degree together but which are not compulsory.
Russian courses at Sheffield focus on small-group teaching, and you will be taught by internationally renowned experts in the field. Beginners and post-A Level students follow separate Russian language courses tailored to their levels for two full years. We offer a core programme in Russian culture and civilisation that complements language instruction at each level. You can also study up to three Slavonic languages.
All students follow either a beginners or advanced Russian course, depending on their qualifications, and modules in Russian culture. Dual honours Russian offers a range of options, in combination with another subject. You spend at least one semester in Russia during your year abroad.
In history, you will study core (compulsory) modules at each level, which will develop your skills, but you are otherwise free to choose from a range of modules. These cover many different periods, countries and approaches to the past. There is a wide chronological and geographical coverage of history from the late Roman to the modern period, addressing political, social and cultural themes in history.
We accept all A-Level subjects, including General Studies.
We also welcome applications from candidates taking other qualifications such as Access to HE Diplomas or the International Baccalaureate. Candidates only offering AS level History are also considered, in this situation you should use your personal statement to briefly make a case about why you were unable to take History to A-level.
- A Levels – ABB (including History and a modern language).
- Two A Levels plus two GCE AS Levels – AB(History)(modern language) + BB*
- Cambridge Pre-U – D3 M2 M2
- Two A Levels plus Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Diploma – AB + Pass
- BTEC National Diploma in a relevant subject – DDM. An additional History qualification is required if the BTEC does not provide sufficient preparation in History
- Scottish Highers – AAAB
- Irish Leaving Certificate – AABBB
- International Baccalaureate – 34 points (including 6 in Higher Level History and a Modern Language).
- Access to HE Diploma – usually in History or a related subject. 60 credits overall with Distinctions in 30 Level 3 credits and Merits in 15 Level 3 credits, to include History units. Evidence of linguistic ability is also required, typically in the form of an A-level in a modern foreign language.
- Core requirements - grade B in both A Level History and a A level modern language or equivalent.
- Non-native English speakers: minimum of IELTS 7.0 (with 6.5 in each component) or equivalent.
* Please note we would normally expect candidates to be taking three subjects at A-level (or equivalent) and this offer will only be used where an acceptable explanation for the alternative route of study is included in the application.