Dr José Miguel Baptista Nunes
Senior Lecturer, Head of Information Systems Research Group
BSc (Lisbon, Portugal), MSc (Sheffield), PhD (Sheffield), MBCS, FHEA, FIMIS
|Telephone (UK):||0114 222 2645|
|Telephone (International):||+44 114 222 2645|
I am an experienced IT/IS academic and professional with expertise in the areas of IS design and development, project management and educational informatics. I am a Portuguese (Europe, EU) citizen, resident in the UK since 1993. I was born in 1963 in Lisbon (capital of Portugal, EU), where I completed my primary and secondary school.
In 1989, I obtained a Professional Certificate in Business Applications Programmer from ATI, Lisbon. I then worked professionally as programmer and systems analyst in the Portuguese Army (1988-1990) and then with Siemens Portugal (1990-1993)
In 1992, I concluded my first degree in Applied Mathematics (1992, UAL, Lisbon), and subsequently, I successfully completed an MSc in Information Management (1993, Sheffield, UK) and a PhD in Information Studies (1999, Sheffield, UK).
In 1997, I accepted a permanent post as lecturer in the than Department of Information Studies, now known as Information School, at the University of Sheffield, where I have been developing my research interests and academic career ever since, and where I am now Senior Lecturer since 2007 (equivalent to Associate Professor with tenure).
I am completely bilingual in Portuguese (my first language) and English, as well as fluent in French, German and Spanish.
I have contributed to the development of Information Systems programmes (MSc in IM, MSc in IS and MSc in ISM), modules (Database Design, IS Modelling, IS Project Management, Educational Informatics) and research in the Department for the last 10 years. During this period I successfully introduced and developed experiential learning, problem-based learning approaches in the curriculum design of a number of undergraduate and postgraduate modules.
I have also contributed to the design, development and introduction of web-based learning environments to support undergraduate, postgraduate and continuous professional distance education programmes and modules (MA in IT Mgt).
Additionally, I have actively pursued the design and implementation of innovative forms of both group and individual assessment within Information Systems modules, aiming at enabling situated, collaborative and active learning approaches.
Finally, I have supervised more than 70 Master's dissertations.
Leadership, Management and Administration
- I am currently the Head of the Information Systems Research Group (since 2009).
- I was the Head of the Information and Knowledge Management Research Group (2007-2010).
- I am the Programme Coordinator for the MSc in Information Systems (since 2009).
- I am the Module Coordinator for two postgraduate (IS Modelling and IS Project Management) and one undergraduate module (IS Modelling). The two postgraduate ones are core modules in their respective programmes.
- I am also a Member of the following Departmental Committees: Strategy, Research, Teaching, Staff and Student-Staff.
- I was the Programme Coordinator for the MSc in Information Systems Management (2008-2012).
- I was the Programme Coordinator for the MSc in Information Management (2002-2007).
Professional and External Development Activities
- I am a Fellow (FIMIS) of the Institute for Management of Information Systems (IMIS).
- I am a Registered Practitioner and a Fellow (FHEA) of the UK Higher Education Academy (HEA).
- I a Member of the British Computing Society (BCS)
- I was the founder and have been the Programme Chair for the IADIS International Conference on Information Systems (since 2008) - http://www.is-conf.org/
- I was the co-founder and have been the Programme Chair for the IADIS International Conference on E-Learning Conference (since 2007) - http://www.elearning-conf.org/
- I am the co-founder and the Programme Chair for newly created IADIS International Conference on Information Systems Post-implementation and Change Management 2012 - http://www.ispcm-conf.org/
- I was the Programme Chair for the IADIS International Conference on WWW/Internet (since 2005-2009) - http://www.internet-conf.org/
- I was the Conference Chair for the European Conference on Research Methodology for Business and Management Studies (ECRM 2007) - http://academic-conferences.org/ecrm/ecrm2007/ecrm07-home.htm
- I have been a member of scientific committees for international conferences and have chaired a number of sessions at conferences and presented a invited contributions or workshops on 4 occasions.
- I have been an External Examiner, in the areas of Business Information Systems and Information Management, for three different universities in the UK (Aberystwyth University, University of Bradford and Loughborough University).
- I have served as External Examiner for 6 PhD vivas (Loughborough, London, Leeds, 2 in Minho, Portugal and one in Limerick, Ireland) and as Internal in three PhD vivas in Sheffield. I also served as External Examiner for Masters vivas (one in Limerick, Ireland, one other in Porto, Portugal, and two for the Open University, Lisbon).
- I have served as a panel member on behalf of the University of East London (UEL) in two different Quality Assurance (QA) events at the Financial Training & Management Services (FTMS) College, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. These events held on 18th and 19th June 2012 included the Validation of a new programme (BSc (Hons) Computer Networks) and the Collaborative Review between UEL and FTMS that involves 3 undergraduate programmes and 2 master programmes.
- I was a Visiting Associate Professor at the Universidade Nova de Lisboa, ISEGI (Higher Studies Institute of Statistics and Information Management), Lisbon, Portugal (2004-2008).
- I was a Visiting Associate Professor at the Portuguese Open University Business School, Lisbon, Portugal (2004-2009).
- I was a Visiting Researcher, with a Gaikokujin Kenkyuin Fellowship, at the University of Tsukuba in Japan, by invitation of the Research Center for Knowledge Communities, Graduate School of Library, Information, and Media Studies, University of Tsukuba, Japan (2005).
- I was a Visiting Professor at the School of Management at the Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST ), Wuhan, China (2009).
Research and publications
- I have 10 completed PhD student supervisions.
- I am currently supervising 7 PhD projects, 6 on-campus, one part-time supervising a Senior Lecturer from the University of East London.
- I have been the Primary Investigator for 11 different research projects, totalling £250,000.
- I have published widely (182 publications) including: one research monograph, one edited book, 12 international conference proceedings, 8 book chapters, 33 academic refereed papers, 46 referred full papers in conferences and 6 professional journal papers.