Applying and visiting
For most degree schemes, offers of places are usually made on the basis of the information on your UCAS application form. We will invite you to visit the University, and then inform you of the offer.
School of Mathematics Open Days
Here is a typical programme for a Departmental Open Day:
- 12.15-12.35pm: Arrival time at the Hicks Building with sandwiches and drinks
- 12.35-1.15pm: Welcome and short talk about the course, with opportunity for questions
- 1.15-3.15pm: A tour by coach of some University accommodation and the Sports Centre, followed by a visit to the Students' Union
- 3.15-3.55pm: Informal interviews and a short talk by a current student
- 3.55-4.15pm: Talk by a current lecturer.
There will be variations from this standard programme. In particular, the visit days for the various dual degrees will include a visit to the other department.
You will be shown round by our students, and there will be plenty of opportunity for you to find out about Mathematics at Sheffield and student life in general.
There is a programme for parents which includes a tour of the Students' Union and a visit so some student accommodation.
To find out more about University Open Days, please see their web page:
We are happy to allow students to defer their entry for a year. If you know at the time of application that this is what you want to do, please indicate it on the UCAS form. If you develop an interest, or change your mind, after applying, please let us know. The conditions of the offer will not be affected by whether or not you decide to defer your entry.