Examples of recent MMedSci projects
Clinical and biochemical studies:
- The role of antioxidant vitamins in oxidation of human low density lipoprotein.
- Determination of the relationship between measures of folate and antioxidant status in Buccal cells and plasma.
- Evaluation of the effects of eating breakfast on pulse wave velocity.
- Evaluation of the responsiveness of Buccal cell vitamin C concentrations to short term supplementation.
- Effects of a symbiotic preparation on the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
- An investigation of the associations between folate status, genotype and cervical pathology in women with HPV infection.
Molecular nutrition studies:
- Regulation of colon cell function by the C3 short-chain fatty acid propionate.
- The regulation of apoptosis and Bcl2 family by curcumin.
- Effects of dehydration on cell viability.
- Butyrate and mismatch repair in colorectal cancer cells.
- Examination of strand breakage (ROPS assay) in Buccal cells in response to supplementation with antioxidant or folate.
- Treatment with eicosapentaenoic acid influences growth and clonogenicity.
- The impact of butyrate on specific gene expression in a colorectal cancer cell line.
Nutrition and sports science studies:
- Nutritional strategies of self-supported ultra-endurance mountain runners.
- Fluid replacement strategies of athletes - a questionnaire study
- The effects of sodium citrate on intermittent exercise performance
- Nutritional strategies for preparation and performance in ultra endurance cycling.
- An investigation of dietary intake and dietary knowledge in a cohort of older patients with heart failure.
- The effect of a series of "Cook and Eat" classes on dietary intake and nutritional knowledge of people with Type II diabetes.
- School lunch provision and children's food choice in three secondary schools in Sheffield. Are the new Nutritional Standards being met?
- Breakfast intake of primary schoolgirls in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
- An investigation of the relationship between diet and immune function in healthy elderly subjects.
- An historical analysis of food writing in women's magazines.
- Can a school-based intervention improve eating habits and body mass index of children aged 9 to 10 years living in a socially deprived area of the UK?
Energy balance studies:
- Effects of oral creatine on fat utilisation and appetite.
- The effect of preload volume and energy density on eating behaviour and rated appetite.
- Can alginate modulate appetite? An investigation of its effects on energy intake relative to a Slim Fast® control.
- Use of fybogel to modulate satiety.