Faculty PhD Scholarships
The University of Sheffield invests a significant amount of funding each year in order to support the very best postgraduate research students. For entry in 2013-14, each Faculty is offering a number of scholarship awards on a competitive basis.
Each Faculty can offer a range of awards which may include:
- Fees (UK/EU or Overseas) and a full stipend at the RCUK rate (full-time rate £13,726 for 2013-14)
- Fees (UK/EU or Overseas) and a half stipend (full-time rate £6,863 for 2013-14)
- Fees only (UK/EU or Overseas)
- A contribution towards fees or living expenses
These scholarships fund up to three years full-time or six years part-time study, subject to satisfactory progress. Part-time studentships are paid at 50% of the full-time rate.
- You should have, or expect to achieve, a first or upper second class UK honours degree or equivalent.
- You should be applying to start your first year of study on a full-time or part-time PhD with the University in the 2013-14 academic year (i.e. after 1st August 2013, exact start date to be agreed with your supervisor/ department).
- Awards are open to UK, EU and international applicants.
Please note that the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health offers Faculty Scholarships for specific projects only. Information on the available projects and deadlines for application to these can be found on the Faculty Graduate School pages.
How to apply
Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis - applications are assessed on the basis of academic success and qualifications, experience, research background, a clear well-articulated research proposal, the potential impact of the research and a good match with supervisor/ departmental expertise.
Closing date for 2013-14 entry is 12 noon (UK time) on 1st February 2013. Please note that some departments may have independent deadlines for particular research projects, which may be earlier than the scholarship deadline.
Applications for 2013-14 entry are now closed.
You can expect to hear if your scholarship application has been successful by the end of April 2013.