MSc Statistics with Medical Applications (new for 2009)
This web page is to introduce an innovative Masters programme, due to be launched in September 2009.
If you represent a commercial organisation that would consider undertaking sponsorship of a student on the proposed MSc in Medical Statistics with applications in Medicine, there is further information available:
There is currently a shortage of medical statisticians both nationally and internationally and those working in the field are much in demand. This MSc will produce quality graduates equipped to work in a wide range of fields related to Medicine and Healthcare. It is ideal for students wishing to pursue a career as a professional medical statistician.
Opportunities exist around the world, including the USA, UK, Europe, Australia and Canada, in:
- the pharmaceutical industry
- government or other policy organisations
- healthcare purchase or provider organisations
- health related consultancy
- the medical research sector
To train the next generation of Medical Statisticians. The course will equip students with the skills necessary to enable them to work across the range of areas covered by the Medical, Pharmaceutical and Health-related fields.
Objectives of the course
By the end of the course students should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of statistical theory
- Select appropriate study designs to address questions of medical relevance
- Select and apply appropriate statistical techniques for managing common types of medical data
- Use a range of software packages for statistical analysis and data management
- Interpret correctly the results of statistical analyses and critically evaluate the use of statistics in the medical literature
- Understand the context of medical research, and the contribution of statisticians working in the health research, the health service, and in the pharmaceutical industry
- Discuss and communicate effectively with through written reports and oral presentations
Description of the course
The course follows the MSc in Probability and Statistics, which will give a good grounding in the theory and application of statistics. Additional options are taken in Epidemiology and Further Clinical trials. Epidemiological applications will be in Spatial Epidemiology and Genetic Epidemiology.
Students apply through the Department of Probability and Statistics and specify that they wish to take the Medical Applications option.
If you would like to be considered for enrolment or would like to ask any questions regarding this Masters programme, please contact:
Dr Nick Fieller (Admissions tutor)
tel: +44 (0) 114 222 3831
email : Nick Fieller
Prof Michael Campbell (Course director)
Tel: +44 (0) 114 222 0839
email : Michael Campbell
Alternatively, write to:
Dr Nick Fieller
Department of Probability & Statistics
University of Sheffield
Sheffield, S3 7RH