Entry Qualifications and Application Procedure
We offer a MPhil / PhD / MD in Health and Related Research here in ScHARR. All applicants to the PhD and MD programmes are initially registered on the MPhil and are `upgraded´ often towards the end of the first year (second year for part time students). Students are expected to submit a significant piece of written work and/or a presentation at a Departmental research seminar as part of their upgrade. In addition, the University requires that full-time students must have successfully achieved the requisite number of credits from the Research Training Programme before upgrading can be confirmed.
We offer a full time or part time route to study. If you are interested in remote location and distance learning options please go to http://www.shef.ac.uk/postgraduate/research/away.
- Upper Second Class (2.1) Honours degree (you will need to upload a copy of your certificate and transcript)
- Master's degree - good pass/merit (you will need to upload a copy of your certificate and transcript)
- Those without a Masters or with a 2.2 degree or a professional qualification can apply for MPhil entry.
- A detailed research proposal (background to topic and how it is original, methods of sampling, data collection and analysis etc.).
- If you have a research proposal that is not from the list, please note that it may take longer than the 3-4 weeks to make a decision as we will need to find staff able to supervise your area of interest.
- Students whose first language is not English must have an IELTS 7.0 (with 6.5 in each component) OR equivalent gained within the past two years. Please note that from September 2013 entry, the level will be IELTS 7.5 with 6.5 in each component)
- Two academic references which should be supplied by academic staff at institutions where you studied previously. If you have been out of education for a while then we will accept a reference from your current employer if they are able to comment on your suitability to study for a higher research degree.
- Names of supervisors if already arranged or
- If you do not have any supervisors, please leave this blank on your application form as we circulate all complete applications that have met the above criteria to ScHARR staff to arrange a supervisory team. Please note that this may mean that a decision can not be made within the four working weeks.
Next Steps ... (How to Apply)
Entry to the MPhil / PhD / MD in Health and Related Research is extremely competitive so please ensure that you have all the necessary documentation before you put in an application.
Once you have submitted your application the admissions department will send you an acknowledgement email within three working days. Your application is then passed to the department and a decision is normally made within 4 workings weeks.
Please note that if there is missing documentation from your application we will not be able to consider it until everything has been uploaded. We will email you to request these documents are uploaded by a given deadline. If we do not receive the documents by this deadline then your application will be withdrawn. If you have any further queries please contact the PGR administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)114 2227019 / 22998