This page of online resources complements the Trent RDSU Information Service @ ScHARR Library by providing links to useful information sources created and/or used by the Information Resources section.
Guides and introductions
Guides to appraising and evaluating scientific literature
Guides to synthesising the results of more than one publication, trial or study
- Undertaking Systematic Reviews of Research on Effectiveness (CRD Report 4)
Guides to using this bibliographic database support package
- Reference Manager support guides (Reference Manager website)
Bibliographic referencing styles
- Recording and citing references guides (University of Sheffield Library)
- References and citations explained (University of Leeds Library)
Instructions for authors
How to write articles for a variety of health journals
- Instructions to authors in the health sciences (Mulford Library, College of Ohio)
Portals and gateways
Access to sources of health information and research.
- BIOME - Hub for Internet Resources in the Health and Life Sciences
- BUBL Health Studies gateway
- NLH - National Library for Health (NHS)
- OMNI - UK's gateway to high quality Internet resources in health and medicine
- Staff and students at the University of Sheffield can visit the Science, Technology and Medical Databases page from the University of Sheffield library website.
- NHS staff should use the Dialog Databases from the NHS Dialog website.
Electronic journals in health
- Staff and students at the University of Sheffield can visit the Medical Electronic Journals page from the University of Sheffield library website.
- NHS staff should use the NeLH Electronic Journals list.
Sources of UK and international statistics, plus a guide to using the statistical software package SPSS.
- BUBL Health Statistics
- Health of Wales Information Service Statistics (NHS Wales)
- HSE Statistics (Health & Safety Executive)
- Medical Statistics: An introduction using SPSS (University of Sheffield)
- Medical Statistics on the Internet (University of Glasgow Library)
- Scottish Health Statistics (ISD Scotland)
- Statistics for Wales (National Assembly for Wales)
- WHO Health Statistics (World Health Organisation)
Health research organisations
- CEBM - Centre for Evidence Based Medicine (Oxford)
- CRD - Centre for Reviews & Dissemination (University of York)
- HEDS - Health Economics and Decision Science, ScHARR
- HERU - Health Economics Research Unit (University of Aberdeen)
- HSR - Health Services Research, ScHARR
- King's Fund
- London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (University of London)
- Nuffield Institute for Health (University of Leeds)
- Mental Health Research Network